Saturday, April 13, 2013

Life After the Move

Seven months ago I got married. Seven months ago  I also moved to a completely new place.  Isn't it funny sometimes some of the happiest moments of our lives are completely enmeshed with some of the scariest and uncomfortable moments?  Over the past few days I have been reflecting on moving.  You can always see things more clearly after you've gone through it and look back.  

*Disclaimer:  I have not "arrived" yet.  I still miss Charleston desperately at times. I constantly miss my friends and family. Still cry non stop on occasion.  I have pangs of sadness.  And my desire to constantly visit is never really satisfied.*

There are some things with a move you're prepared for.  The general everything will be different is an understatement.  HA.  You plan for things to be different.  Your friends & families are now hundreds of miles away.  You have to be really organized and get packed and actually moved.  And the general everything will be different statement is always looming in your head.  It isn't until you've arrived at said new location that you really begin to realize what the word everything means. 

One of my biggest meltdowns came after rushing around and taking off work to get my new license.  The debit card machine went down literally as I stepped up to the window to pay.  We had prepared every possible piece of paperwork ahead of time so that it would be smooth sailing and that I would get in and out and back to work without more time off.  As I asked the lady to try again, tears in my eyes, I told her I understood that I'd have to come back (its an hour way from where I work) and that it was okay.  I cried the whole way to my car. Why?  Because she had said just run to the ATM and grab some cash and be back.  It was the perfect plan! And I loved the brilliant idea.  Except.  I didn't know where an ATM was, I didn't even know where I was.  I used my GPS in the car and I quickly turned from sad to angry when I learned my new bank didn't actually have a bank or ATM anywhere near this place.  In a moment of anger I ripped the GPS off the dashboard and threw it across my car as hard as I could!  SHEW! I felt better.  Then I frantically looked to see if I broke a window or the GPS.  Thankfully I did not and hysterical laughter ensued.   That's moving for you!

Nobody ever tells you that the everything means that you will suddenly be directionally challenged.  Sure they may say everything will be an adventure. But what they won't say is you'll get lost.  You'll use a lot of gas trying to find a grocery store.  Or that sometimes just sometimes you'll need to prepare for every possible payment option in case suddenly the DMV's machine goes down!

No comments: