Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Learning to Compromise

Greetings from SUNNY & WARM New York!  I could not be more thrilled!  My heart could not be more excited... I'm having trouble sitting still for long.  One of the perks of my office is that the windows open!  Praise the Lord for this small blessing.  I know that when you work on the 57th floor that isn't possible but today I am thankful for ground floors and open windows!


There is one common word when talking about the key to marriage (or the key to every good relationship/friendship) "compromise".    I think it is mostly because it is the hardest thing we really have to do.  Meeting someone in the middle is WAY harder than persuading them to come to your side but if you want to show someone how much you love them and how much they mean to you... you're gonna have to make some concessions. 

Summer is quickly approaching and for us as a family that means a lot of long days.  Brian's job will be all encompassing and while I'm nervous for what this looks like for us I'm also excited because I know this is truly what he is called to and his heart hungers for it.  So we will develop a plan that will most likely get thrown out week 2 or possible even negative week 1.  We will adapt, we are hoping we do it graciously.  ha.

In preparation of summer we decided we needed some us time.  So we decided at the beginning of last week that we would sneak away for the weekend.  Well we had been talking about it for months really BUT couldn't decide on where to go or what to do.  I wanted to veg and explore and Brian wanted some thrills.  Finally, we compromised.  I picked Cape May and he picked Six Flags.  Away we went.

Saturday was perfect, we left bright and early Saturday morning and four hours later my toes were in the chilly sand of the Northeast Coast. We walked the promenade, walked on the beach, dipped (quickly) my toes in the water, ate custard, and went store to store.  Brian was a champ! 

     
On the windy (and a bit cold) beach of Cape May.



Sunday morning we woke up and made the two hour trek to Six Flags.  Brian was more excited than a 3rd grader.  We arrived at the park as soon as it opened and realized Sunday at the park was going to be perfect weather (60's and sunny) and the crowds would not be around!   You couldn't have asked for more perfect weather or conditions.  We waited maybe 20 minutes at the most for rides.  Simply perfect.  We hit every coaster I think at least twice and one we rode THREE times! 

3rd coaster of the day.  This is a picture of one happy man! 


Let's talk about King da Ka.  It is the fallest, tallest coaster in North America.  As soon as we got to the park I started asking for permission to bail on this coaster.  Brian however would NOT grant permission.  After watching it run a few times I thought it was manageable, as long as I held my breath and closed my eyes, I could do anything for 60 seconds.  And that is exactly what I did for three rides, held my breath and closed my eyes.  It goes so fast that you really can't keep your eyes open anyways.  On the first run I opened my eyes as soon as we started over the hill to plummet 456 feet downwards and immediately closed them after the .5 seconds they were open.  Nope! 

This is a weird tiny picture. I don't know what happened.  That's right folks 456 feet up and down!

I get compromise.  We both had a perfect weekend.  We both got to enjoy what really refreshes us and we both got to enjoy each other.  I know why parents leave their kids and get away.  We don't even have kids but I'm looking forward to leaving them and spending some time just the two of us!  Two days felt like five (in a good way).  Compromise I'm learning to like you  more and more.

No comments: