Friday, March 8, 2013

Lessons Learned by the Snow

After a mean joke played by Mother Nature, 43 and sunny, the snow came.

Here is the thing about snow it looks beautiful.  Winter is so dingy.  Then the snow settles on the dark crusty ground and pale sad trees and instantly the world looks like a brighter place.  And if I could stay inside and look at it I would love it.  It causes us to want to hibernate like bears, snuggled up in warm homes by fires, drinking coffee, eating pancakes, and watching movies.  However when hibernation isn't an option I become like the bear who has to go out in mid winter looking for food.  Determined and usually disappointed.  Brian is working really late tonight so this morning when I got up and saw the snow I figured I'd give him the morning off.  I swept the stairs, shoveled the walk, dusted off the cars and warmed mine up.  All the while thinking look at me aren't I great? I am so capable!   I heard camp's plow outside so I figured things were probably less snowy off the mountain and that I'd just go to work as normal.  

I jumped in the car and off I went. 

I confess on our driveway I was going very slow and taking pictures.  I then exited the driveway a bit startled by the condition of the main road but also overly confident in my ability and maybe a bit stubborn.  What fun is a snow day if you've gotten up at 6am showered and are fully ready to tackle the day?   I climbed the first hill.  Brian's car has a traction light on it that flashes when you're wheels are sliding and it enables traction control.  Really all it does for me is flashes you're probably going to die today.  I start sliding.  

I push on.

I peak the mountain and what do I see?  Hardly anything the snow is coming down hard, the snow on the roads is piling up.  I pull slide sideways into the fire station and wait.  In this moment I think I could keep going or I could go back.  I decide going back isn't an option because that hill is kind of brutal going up so going down can't be fun.  

So I push on. 

About 200 feet was a small hill, barely even a down grade, however when I start down I start sliding.  Less confident than before I pull off in a parking lot and decide I'm not sure I'm up for the bigger hill I have to go down in another 200 feet.  What to do?  What to do?  

I back track.

Back in the fire station's lot I wait.  I waited for a plow truck. That was my plan.  If a plow truck comes by I can follow him either to the valley or back home.  After 2 minutes I convinced myself I was cold and hungry.  While talking to my sister I confessed it then quickly followed it up with a sane thought... I think I'll survive.  I hoped that I would.  After ten minutes I heard the rumbling of the truck.  I was saved!  I put down my kindle and got ready to follow it to safety.  Except the truck didn't put his plow down. NEW RULE: If you have a plow on your truck and there is snow on the road just drive with it down... even if it isn't your section to clear! After about another ten minutes a truck with its plow came through heading back towards my house.  I started the car and off I went at a fast 5-10 mile an hour pace.  I made it home and decided that I'd camp out for a bit and try again in a little while.

I learned two things  today.

1.  I may think I can do anything but sometimes I can't.
2.  At least I'm willing to try.


No comments: