Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Six Months and Counting

I wish had some statistics for you.  It would be fun to say I burned 4 dinners, ruined 16 batches of cookies, or cried 1,400 times in the first six months.  Truth is we've just lived life for 6 months and the stats went unaccounted for.  Although we all know I probably cried more than 1,400 times. 

Last weekend, 6 months and 2 days, into our marriage we traveled to WV (home) to see friends get hitched.  In the car Brian and I played a little game called "Things We've Learned in the First 6 Months of Marriage".  While I won't share our answers some of them were HILARIOUS.  You guys are really missing out my man is FUNNY!   There was only one rule for the game

Rule 1 and Only:
What have you learned about the OTHER person in the first 6 months of marriage? 

Simple right?  It was fun.  Some things were funny.  Some things were funny but stemmed from some what tense moments.  Some were just practical.  6 months isn't a long time to be "doing life" with someone but there does seem to be a lot of lessons learned right out the gate.  At least there were for us.  While I won't share Brian's answers about me I will share some insight into some things I've learned about myself.

1.  I shouldn't move often.  I like settled even though I pretend that I don't.  I do.

2.  I cry a lot.  I knew this ahead of time but recently I've learned I cry a lot more than I thought I did.  Which was a lot originally.

3.  My heart is for community.  Oh I love my husband but there is nothing like a good group of women living life together.  NOTHING.

4.  Weather plays a role.  9 months of winter is about 6 more than I'm used to.  I need sunlight and I need it badly.  (Before next winter I will be investing in a light therapy lamp!)

5.  I've got stuff to work on.  I tend to think I'm great.  I generally roll with the punches... (please note the word GENERALLY - meaning not all the time) but stick me in a house with someone else and well let's just say marriage has a way of rubbing off the rough edges. 

Our first six months are in the bag and while they were full of ups and downs, laughter and tears, talking and silence Brian and I concluded after our car game that we wouldn't change anything.  Those experiences have buffed us up and made us a little more tolerable to not only each other but to others around us.  My sister was convinced our first year of marriage would be hilarious and so far it has proved not to disappoint.  I'll leave you with Brian's insightful take away one day as we drove home from church and I song I wish I had written but Kid President beat me to it.

"I used to think women were normal people..... and then I married one!"   - Brian
(Said in the most matter of fact non emotional tone)


No comments: