Wednesday, February 13, 2013

O Canada

Canada has given us some amazing things...

  1. Celine Dion
  2. Bacon
  3. Clearly Canadian (90s shout out!)

Newest to the list.... HOCKEY!  

 

Last night Brian took me to my first hockey game (minor league). The Scranton Baby Penguins v. Binghamton Senators.  Let me first start out by saying... I still don't know what happened.  I didn't grow up watching hockey in fact I'm not sure I even knew hockey existed before Wayne Gretzkey.  I only know about him because he was a pseudo celebrity.  I digress.  If you follow me on twitter you got to experience all of my confusion first hand #hockeyquestions.  Maybe it is the southern gal in me but I thought team sports were supposed to develop character ... hockey creates chaos.  

Don't get me wrong.  It was amazing!  I ate it up.  I still have some questions, such as, why does the guy not even near the other two fighting all of a sudden feel like he needs to jump in? Or how do all the players switch in and out so quickly without knocking each other down. I'm also convinced that the beginning three months are spent learning how to jump over the wall from the box... it has GOT to be hard.  It was so fun though.  Brian was my personal hockey commentator.  He offered explanations and play by play commentary the whole night. I would have been in bad shape without him. It was hard for me to focus on the game when someone was in the penalty box. I always missed them coming out of the penalty box so for a good ten minute stretch I only watched the box. I finally watched a player leave... turns out it is not so exciting.  

For all the hockey buffs out there here are the game stats.  I have been told that not every hockey game is like this... I hope that isn't true or next time I may be bored.

The game had 98 minutes of penalties and the score was 5:1 Binghamton. The goalie got seriously injured within the first 5 minutes. He never returned.  Brian said he may have died.  I do not doubt it he was in bad shape. The fights were too numerous to count. 

Main takeaways?  
  1. Our kids will never play hockey.
  2. I need to do an excel spreadsheet and find a hockey team to follow.  (Downside hockey jerseys are not flattering). 




No comments: