Thursday, January 31, 2013

Unexpected Snow/Ice Day

When an unexpected day off presents itself, the day after you bought and dyed fabric for the nightstands (FINALLY)... there is only one thing to do.... an Ikea hack!  So I got up pj's and all and got started.  It took about three hours to cover the first nightstand with fabric but by the second I was a well oiled machine.




 Ikea Rast 3 Drawer Dresser


It isn't fancy. It is bare bones and it is only $34.  Ok I'll bite. The hack inspiration came from Little Green Notebook.   I LOVED the thought of covering a piece of furniture with fabric.  The directions did not seem too complicated.  So I "pinned" it and did some dreaming.  I finally got up enough courage and ordered the new drawer pulls.  They arrived weeks before I actually tackled this because I could NOT find cheap linen fabric in gray.  I caved and bought white and dyed it.  I wish I would have used 3 packs instead of just 2 but we also spontaneously  went with a darker headboard so I like the contrast of the lighter linen now.  Headboard redo pics coming soon.  Here is the first nightstand finished.








I LOVE THESE!  They are the perfect addition to our bedroom.  They give us additional storage.  (Yes I know I have a clothes problem. You have to know when it starts spilling into a nightstand.)  Please note the drawers in this picture are a little crooked.  Turns out when I took this picture I had left off an important piece from each drawer.  This was discovered when Brian pulled the drawers and said "why do they fall out?" I responded with "I don't know but I do have a lot of extra pieces left over that I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to put them!"  Turns out those pieces were important and keep the drawers from being slanted or falling out all the time.  HA.  Seriously though sometimes those ikea instructions aren't the easiest pictures to read.   

No comments: