Monday, December 3, 2012

Cavemen


Brian and I have gone paleo.  WHAT?!?!  I know what you're thinking (especially you Mrs. Roberts) "but Adrienne we mock the paleo people!"  I know.  I did.  Then I got married and moved to the woods.  I married a man who loves all things bread and by default I ate a lot of bread.  Thanksgiving was our tipping point.  

We both decided we would take a 45 day Paleo Challenge.  We're on Day 3 and so far so good.  For those of you who don't know what Paleo is, it is where you eat only things that a caveman would eat.  Seems absurd right?  That means no flour, wheat, gluten, beans, dairy, it is basically meat and green and colorful veggies.  We've consumed a lot of bacon in the last few days.  The good thing is that emeals had 30% off on Cyber Monday and they just created a Paleo meal plan option so the switch was going to be seamless.  Emeals is the best thing ever created!  $5 a month and they send you a weekly meal plan with recipes and a completed shopping list.  Brian and I signed up for a full family of 3 or more so that we would have leftovers for lunch the next day but they have meal plans for families of 2.  It is great! 

Back to paleo. 

The "claimed" benefits are better skin, weight loss, more energy, clearer thinking, the list goes on and on.  I did measure and weight myself before our challenge began but those stats are being held in a safe!  If the results are staggering I may share.  

The first 12 hours I had a horrible headache.  Some research says that headaches are common but more common are flu like symptoms in which your body goes through a withdrawal period of sugar and flour.    We've had some delicious meals the first three days:  roasted cauliflower soup, salmon & an olive tapenade arugula salad and yesterday's meal which was a WHOLE lemon & thyme roasted chicken and zucchini cakes.  Yes I roasted a chicken and yes it was gross before it baked!  The zucchini cakes were so delicious!  Tonight I attempted to make paleo cookies.  I ground my own almonds for almond flour and attempted this delicious treat.  While it was good it was thin and I will never ground my own almond flour again.  Buy it Adrienne.  Buy it!   So one day I will buy almond flour and coconut flour just so I can have something like a cookie on days when I need it but until I want to shell out the big bucks for those two things... we won't be having "cookies".

No comments: